Marc B. Applestein, M.D., M.S.B.
- Chairman, Department of Surgery, Howard County General Hospital: A Member of Johns Hopkins Medicine
Dr. Applestein has been practicing urology for close to three decades with a focus on general urology as well as prostate conditions, enlarged prostate/BPH and prostate cancer. His specialty areas include urologic oncology, men's urologic health, and the management of urinary incontinence.
He was most recently a managing partner and urologist with Central Maryland Urology Associates.
Over the course of his medical career, Dr. Applestein has served as a physician executive and surgeon with over 25 years of progressive leadership in a variety of roles including:
- Past President of the Maryland Urological Society
- Past Chief of Urology at Greater Laurel Regional Hospital
- Past Chairman of the Department of Surgery at Greater Laurel Regional Hospital
- Past President of the Professional Staff at Howard County General Hospital, Member, Board of Trustees and member, Medical Executive Committee: Member of Johns Hopkins Medicine
Dr. Applestein also received a Lean sigma certificate from Johns Hopkins University, training that he applied to his role as Chairman of the Department of Surgery at Howard County General Hospital. In this role, he standardized universal protocols and patient safety initiatives and developed a triad of physicians, nursing leaders, and administrators that is the prototype to effect change throughout the organization. As a result of his leadership, Dr. Applestein was recognized by The Johns Hopkins Health System with the Clinical Collaboration and Teamwork Award.
- Duke University, Bachelor of Science
- The University of Maryland, Doctorate in Medicine
- The University of Maryland Hospital, internship, urologic and general surgery residency
- The Johns Hopkins University, Master's of Science in Business