When you think of the practice of urology, do you think of women’s health?
If not, you should.
Many women associate the practice of urology with men's health and often do not realize why choosing a female urology specialist for pelvic health and female urologic conditions is so important.
What it really comes down to is educating women that there are doctors and resources available to care for their most personal, urologic health needs. Urologists who focus on female urology specialize in conditions that affect women from the belly button down. These conditions include:
- Bladder control issues such as overactive bladder (OAB) and stress urinary incontinence
- Interstitial cystitis or painful bladder syndrome
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Chronic pelvic pain
- Pelvic reconstructive surgery (performed by Chesapeake Urology’s dedicated urogynecologist)
- Neuro-urologic issues and neurogenic bladder, conditions often associated with chronic diseases such as multiple sclerosis and Parkinson’s disease.
- Chronic urinary tract infections
- Female sexual dysfunction and reproductive issues
- Urologic cancer (like bladder and kidney cancer)
A Urology Team Dedicated to Women
Chesapeake Urology's team of specialists focus on women's most personal health care issues, providing the focused and expert care needed for specific women's urologic conditions. In fact, Chesapeake Urology is the only urology practice in the region with a dedicated women’s urology program. Complemented by a team of women’s health specialists including women’s health physical therapists, a women’s health nurse practitioner, a patient navigator and others, women have a urology program that focuses on them, right down to the private women’s bathroom.
But, What About My Gynecologist?
While gynecologists focus more on women's reproductive health, a urologist or urogynecologist who specializes in female urological conditions focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of female conditions that affect the entire pelvic area and urinary tract system of a woman. Chesapeake Urology's urogynecologist also specializes in pelvic reconstructive surgery and minimally invasive surgical procedures, providing a more comprehensive look at the female urologic system as a whole. Simply put, you wouldn’t see a urologist when you’re pregnant, so why would you see an OB/GYN when you have a bladder control or pelvic health condition?
Women - Take Charge of Your Urologic Health
Women, it’s time to take charge of your urologic health and now you have the resources and female urology specialists on your side to care for your most personal urologic needs.
Meet Our Team of Women’s Urology Specialists:
- Conrad Duncan, M.D. - Urogynecologist with a focus on minimally invasive GYN surgery, female urinary incontinence and overactive bladder, pelvic organ prolapse, abnormal uterine bleeding and fibroids, interstitial cystitis and chronic pelvic pain.
- Lisa Hawes, M.D. – Specializes in female urologic conditions including incontinence, pelvic prolapse, urinary tract infections and interstitial cystitis.
- Kelly Johnson, M.D. - Fellowship trained in female urology, neurourology and reconstructive surgery.
- Kannan Manickam, M.D. - Fellowship trained in voiding dysfunction and specializes in urinary incontinence and pelvic prolapse.
- Kaiser Robertson, III, M.D. – Specializing in urinary incontinence and pelvic reconstructive surgery.
- Andrew Shapiro, M.D. – Director of the Center for Continence and Pelvic Floor Dysfunction at Chesapeake Urology.
- Victoria Staiman, M.D. – Specializing in incontinence and pelvic prolapse, urinary infections, voiding dysfunction and kidney stone disease.
Learn more about our team of physicians specializing in female urologic conditions - http://womenshealth.chesapeakeurology.com/our-team/urinary-incontinence-and-pelvic-health-physicians/
Visit http://womenshealth.chesapeakeurology.com or call Chesapeake Urology’s Women’s Personal Health program to learn more: 877-771-9508.