Chesapeake Urology Offers Endourology Fellowship
Published On: 05/04/2016
Chesapeake Urology Now Offering Endourology Fellowship
This is a one year fellowship at Chesapeake Urology that focuses on the medical and surgical management of stone disease.
Academic affiliation: University of Maryland
A particular emphasis will be on percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL) in the following areas: Outpatient same day discharge PCNL, ASC PCNL; multi-tract PCNL; single incision multiple access PCNL; Tubeless PCNL; Totally Tubeless PCNL; and Minimally Invasive PCNL (MIP). Case volumes are expected to exceed 200.
Renal access is also highlighted. Anatomic guided, fluoroscopic, ultrasound and endoscopically visualized access will all be covered. Ultrasound access is a developing technique; all other techniques will be used on nearly every case. An excess of 400 percutaneous "sticks" can be expected during the year of training.
Additional areas covered: Retrograde endoscopic surgery (Ureteroscopy-- case volume 150), percutaneous and endoscopic management of upper tract urothelial cancer, endoscopic management of stricture disease.
Opportunities for robotic laparoscopic training in upper tract reconstruction will also be offered.
The fellow is expected to become licensed in the State of Maryland and will be credentialed at the University of Maryland Baltimore Washington Medical Center and Summit ASC. The responsibilities of the fellow are as follows:
1) Prepare for surgical cases
2) Care for hospitalized patients
3) Take the lead in a metabolic stone clinic
4) Take associate physician weekend call
5) Take the lead in a research project
6) Assist with additional research
7) Present at an M&M conference
8) Present at the national and regional AUA and WCE conferences
9) Serve as a patient liaison
10) Participate in community physician outreach and training