Dr. Davalos has been a practicing urologist since 2005 and he treats all aspects of adult urology. His special interest is in kidney stone disease and he specializes in providing comprehensive surgical, medical and preventive care for kidney stones with the treatment goal of rendering patients 100% stone free.
A national and international leader in the treatment of large kidney stones performing Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy (PCNL) and ambulatory percutaneous nephrolithotomy (PCNL), Dr. Davalos serves as the Director of Chesapeake Urology’s Advanced Kidney Stone Program. Under his leadership, Chesapeake Urology’s program was the first in the world to perform PCNL safely and effectively as an outpatient surgery in a free-standing ambulatory surgical center in 2015. Since then, Dr. Davalos continues to be a leader in ambulatory and outpatient PCNL surgery in the U.S., and globally.
Dr. Davalos utilizes Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy (PCNL) for the surgical treatment of large and complex kidney stones. Dr. Davalos and his team are leaders in the tubeless PCNL technique, which is performed as a PCNL surgery but eliminates the need for the nephrostomy (drainage) tube. Patients go home the same day with no tube left in the kidney, resulting in an easier and quicker recovery.
In addition to kidney stones and all types of PCNL surgery, Dr. Davlos specializes in renal access (fluoroscopic-guided, ultrasound-guided, and endoscopic-guided), flexible Ureteroscopy, metabolic evaluation for stone prevention, percutaneous and endoscopic management of upper tract urothelial cancer, as well as endoscopic management of upper tract stricture disease.
Prior to joining Chesapeake Urology Associates, he was with the Charleston Area Medical Center (CAMC), in Charleston, West Virginia where he was director of the Kidney Stone Center, vice chief of the department of urology and a urology residency clinical professor. Before CAMC he was in private practice and served as a clinical professor with the West Virginia University School of Medicine, Charleston Division.
Dr. Davalos serves as a product development consultant with industry leaders for the development of new medical devices. Additionally, he has worked on advancing scope technology for the endourologic treatment of stones and other urologic conditions. He has been an investigator in numerous research studies for the diagnosis and treatment of kidney stones.
In addition, Dr. Davalos has presented at national meetings on subjects primarily related to kidney stone conditions and treatments and has published articles in multiple medical journals including:
- Contemporary Management and Trends in the Treatment of Upper Tract Urothelial Carcinoma; World Journal of Nephrology and Urology
- Hemostatic Plug: Novel Technique for Closure of Percutaneous Nephrostomy Tract; The Journal of Endourology, volume 29, Number 3, March 2015
- High Supracostal Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy Access: Assessing Safety in Access above the Eleventh Rib after Performing Preoperative Planning with Computed Tomography; Open Journal of Urology, 2015, 5, 25-33
- A clever technique for placement of a urinary catheter over a wire; Urology Annals, Jul – Sep 2015 | Vol 7 | Issue 3
- Are we fearful of tubeless percutaneous nephrolithotomy? Assessing the need for tube drainage following percutaneous nephrolithotomy; Urology Annals, Jan – Mar 2016 | Vol 8 | Issue 1
Learn more about Dr. Davalos at www.drjuliodavalos.com.